Monday, September 20, 2010

Avery Continues to Shine; Reaction to Drury Injury & Stepan Talks Chemistry

Andrew Gross at Ranger Rants reports that Sean Avery scored twice for White to give him three goals in two scrimmages, albeit two have been empty-netters, as White, with Henrik Lundqvist in net, improved to 2-0 during training camp in today's second scrimmage.

...besides the outstanding play of Stepan the other most pleasant sign at camp so far is a much improved Avery. He looks like he means business this year.

Gross also has this quote from Marian Gaborik on the Chris Drury injury...

“It’s just frustrating to him that it happened,” Gaborik said. “He’s our captain and obviously a big part of our team. We just have to manage.”

...i know Drury hasn't lived up to his contract, but when your captain goes down that is definitely a blow to the team.

Finally, Jesse Spector at the Blueshirt Blog spoke with Derek Stepan on playing on a line with Gabby and Afro...

"I had a blast with those two guys,” Stepan said. “I don’t know how chemistry works - you step on the ice and just seem to find guys. For us three, we just clicked, and I don’t know if it’s something about first day, first scrimmage, everyone’s excited to play, or if it’s chemistry. I don’t know what it was, but I’m excited to see if we get another chance at it and see if it was truly chemistry. Because I don’t really know how to explain chemistry - when you can find it, it’s something special. Plus, I didn’t take chemistry in school.”

...having chemistry with the two top scoring threats on the team is always good for your chances of making the team.

Remember to follow me on Twitter & Facebook or e-mail me at nyrfan94@yahoo.com.

24 comments:

Unknown said...

"...Plus, I didn’t take chemistry in school.” Plus he has a sense of humor! I bet he's kinda tired about hearing reports asking about chemistry this, chemistry that...Good stuff.

chef dave said...

This kid might really do it. I think if you have 2 legit first liners (Gabby & Fro, sounds like a 70's cop show) then the 3rd guy just needs chemistry more than skill.

Kevin H. said...

I'm excited about this kid, but it is way too early to start talking as if he has this amazing chemistry with Gabby and Fro. It was one scrimmage. We have seen many exciting one night performances by lines that were broken up just days later. Chemistry takes time.

Kevin H. said...

I will add that it seems as if Stepan's aware of that, and it is good to see that maturity on his part.

icycup said...

the real question with stepan is if he can keep his head up while playing in an nhl game.

AnnoyingJoe said...

Wouldnt it be something if all of the talk about needing a center would be answered by this kid?

ry-man said...

i want stepan to make this team SOOO badly. his style of play and how he talked to the media, hes a perfect fit for ny.

ry-man said...

i want stepan to make this team SOOO badly. his style of play and how he talked to the media, hes a perfect fit for ny.

Dan W said...

Joe, its funny I never considered him until camp started, and Ive been really verbal about our need for a center. Excited now. Also hope McDonagh is a Ranger opening night.

Anonymous said...

Icycup said it right...i'm excited about Stepan for sure but if he gets knocked around and out of the play there will be no chemistry when your trying to get back into the play all the time. But clearly this kid has a future as a top centerman.

Adam Brett said...

cmon kev no early morning update, im dying over here!

AnnoyingJoe said...

I was thinking the same thing. and where's the 12:01am banner change?

True Blue Mike said...

Same, i just got onto the blog and was like "huh no changes?"

Upstate Joe said...

Going through withdrawal here. I hope Kevin is okay. You mean I have to go to more than one website to get my NYR news? The outrage.

Dan W said...

You know youre reading a good blog when you worry about no posts one day as opposed to being mad about it. Wheres Kev?!

true Blue Mike said...

Where did he go George? at this time i have already went through all the other blogs and i really understand how addicted i am to Kev's blog. Come Back!

Fleisch14 said...

I spoke to kevein today, he had a family emergency that he is taking care of... He will be back soon....

Dan W said...

Sad news but Im glad he is doing whats right. Nobody here will complain. If anything hes been posting too much! My girlfriend is getting sick of me always on my phone especially recently. I hope all turns out ok for Kevin and those involved.

wonderin said...

Hope everything is okay Kev...

rusty said...

Kevin
Family comes first so take all the time that you need to get things right. I hope everything is OK.

Adam Brett said...

kev take all the time that you need, hope all is good my man

LI Joe said...

yes kevin family is always priority and hope all goes well

Andrew_794 said...

probably just out hunting some annoymous islanders fans:P

ry-man said...

dont worry kev will be back 10 fold.