Sunday, September 19, 2010

Physical 2nd Scrimmage; Slats Wants to Stay; McIlrath Trying to Catch the Coaches Eye

Andrew Gross at Ranger Rants reports that Todd White and Brian Boyle both scored to help the White team defeat Blue 5-2 in a very physical game.

According to Gross, Ryan Callahan and defenseman Mike Sauer went at it hard, Sean Avery nearly decapitated prospect Christian Thomas near the end of the first period, Daniel Maggio nearly knocked off Tim Kennedy’s helmet and Sauer actually dumped Derek Boogaard early in the second of the two periods.

...had to figure first scrimmage was going to be physical. These guys must have been chomping at the bit for weeks.

Steve Zipay at Blue Notes had numerous quotes from Glen Sather who addressed the media between the two scrimmages...

On possible trades: "Nobody’s making any phone calls right now. There had been a couple calls before camp, people have offered good players, and they want to give up draft picks for them to get out of the contracts. I want to see what our kids can do here first before we do anything, see how they look in the (exhibition) games....The more kids we have on the team, the better off we are. We want to keep the core, the way it’s been going the last few years. A veteran who loses his job to one of the kids doesn't deserve to be here. That’s not to say some other young guy can’t take one of those jobs. And then what you can do is trade him for another asset…"

On his future: "I don’t feel any different now than I did ten years ago...I guess I’ll work until somebody doesn’t want me to work, or if I don’t feel like working. Just like you guys."

...umm Glen I can introduce you to a couple of million Ranger fans who don't want you to work.

Finally, Jesse Spector at the Blueshirts Blog has this quote from Rangers first round draft pick Dylan McIlrath on his first scrimmage with the Blueshirts...

“Playing against Gaborik and Frolov was a bit of a dream come true - they’re world class players, and I’m looking forward to playing with them one day hopefully,” the 18-year-old defenseman said. “It’s definitely a learning experience. I’m taking it all in - the on-ice sessions, practices, the off-ice sessions, picking the brains of the pros and watching what they do. Their off-ice habits as well. It’s all a great experience and I’m looking forward to, if not this year, next year, giving it a good run at training camp and hopefully catching the eyes of the staff.”

...got to say I've been very pleasantly surprised with the reports out of camp on how well McIlrath has looked so far. I figured he'd be 3-4 years away. If he continues to develop this way he may be ready in two years.

Remember to follow me on Twitter & Facebook or e-mail me at nyrfan94@yahoo.com.

1 comment:

Rick said...

You may be right in that it might only take 2-3 instead of 3-4 yrs. Lets hope that it is a smooth transition when it does happen.