Tuesday, August 31, 2010

White Wants to Put Last Year in the Past

Steve Zipay at Blue Notes has this quote from new Ranger Todd White, who has not been cleared for contact yet...

"Two years ago, I had a great year (22 goals, 73 points) and I still think I can play on a high level like that," he told me today. "Last year was a tough year (7-19-26, averaging 15:14 per game) and I just want to put it in the past. I just want the opportunity."

...if White can bounce back from his injury and with the Rangers lack of a true #1 center he will have a real opportunity to make this team.

Zipay also notes that Artem Anisimov looked good scoring on Lundqvist and Marian Gaborik isn't expected until after Labor Day.

Training camp starts on September 17th.

Remember to follow me on Twitter & Facebook or e-mail me at nyrfan94@yahoo.com.

11 comments:

Rick said...

Still trying to figure out how he fits into the lineup with that salary.

Kevin DeLury said...

The Rangers are going to need to make a lot of decisions before the season starts. They are above regular cap and nearing the summer cap and they haven't even re-signed Staal yet.

Players on the chopping block or headed to Hartford could be Redden, Boyle, White, Kennedy, Eminger, Gilroy and MZA.

Avery might even be on that list.

Unknown said...

I think as mentioned by another a commenter somewhere here is that it's really up to the players to make the team and not for the Rangers to pick and choose.

They have more than enough players to fill X spots, therefore if you comes down to the players to try and outplay each other for a roster. Should make for an interesting pre-season.

Unknown said...

*if it

Christopher Decker said...

This is great, but everyone says they want to put their last bad year behind them. Talk is cheap.

Let's hope they really do come to play.

Rick said...

@Christopher: except on the NYR's there seems to be an overabundance of that type of talk. And the battles for the open roster spots are all on the 3rd line, or should I say consists of 3rd liners. But for some reason I still believe we improved a little.

Unknown said...

"I just want to put it in the past."

Yeah, so did the Thrashers and that's just what they did.

Anonymous said...

what is this no #1 center bs..prospal is our true #1 center.

Kevin DeLury said...

I like Prospal, but that just shows how dire the Rangers center situation is.

LI Joe said...

kevin --- kennedy and boyle may not make the team but it won't be because they are hurting the cap in fact its the opposite - their salary at close to minimum helps the cap. the team needs a certain number either 21 or 22 guys probably and if they don't make the team someone else making similar money will. and both of those guys can sit and not hurt their development not something that would be the case for a guy like weise.

Kevin DeLury said...

I hear you Joe. I just meant that they were on the bubble salary or not.