Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sather Snubs Ranger Beat Writers

Looks like Sather angered a couple of Ranger beat writers when he told Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal that Jaromir Jagr is going no where...

Sam Weinman of The Rangers Report says...

I’d be happy to tell you that Glen Sather sat down with a handful of New York writers and announced Jaromir Jagr won’t be going anywhere. Instead, the GM’s most expansive comments of the season on his team were to Jim Matheson in the Edmonton Journal.

“Trade Jagr? Nobody’s called me on him. Why would I want to do that?” Sather said.“Jagr is still the best player on our team. He’s got two guys all over him most nights and he still draws lots of attention. I absolutely want him back next year.”

This isn’t a new dynamic of Sather saying little to the New York press, although it seems to have gotten worse over time. Truth is, I’ve been covering this team for two seasons and I could count on one hand the number of meaningful exchanges I’ve had with the Rangers GM. That could easily be a reflection of my inexperience on the beat, but it’s more a reflection of Sather, who hasn’t saying much to my direct competition, either.

Steve Zipay at Blue Notes adds...

Although the Rangers have denied repeated requests from New York writers for a sitdown with general manager Glen Sather, he spoke with Edmonton reporters and said Jaromir Jagr would not be traded, and that he would like to resign both Jagr and Sean Avery.

Unfortunate situation.

Not for Jagr and Avery, but for Rangers fans, who pay top dollar for tickets and should hear from the team's boss more than every once in awhile.

Anyway, just arrived at the Garden. Maybe we'll have something from Glen before the end of the season.

...I've got to agree with Zipay when he says that Ranger fans should hear from the GM more than once in awhile. As a Mets fan I hear from GM Omar Minaya almost everyday. Whether its in the newspaper, on the radio or on television. Where Sather is almost always MIA. That really isn't fair to Ranger fans wanting to know which direction the team is going.

No comments: