Thursday, November 11, 2010

Albert is the Voice of a Generation

TheNYRBlog reader Cory Twibell of The Hockey Writers puts together a great piece on Rangers radio play by play man Kenny Albert...

"Kenny Albert went from calling games in the stands at Madison Square Garden as a kid, to a $5 per week sportswriting job at Anton Newspapers in high school, to eventually becoming one of the most recognizable and beloved voices in professional sports."

Albert on calling games in the stands at MSG as a kid...

“I received a tape recorder for my fifth birthday. I started calling games off television, and when I became old enough to take it to Madison Square Garden (MSG) or Shea Stadium, I would call games into the recorder from the stands. The people around me probably thought I was crazy,” said Albert, who grew up in Sands Point and covered sports for Anton’s Port Washington News.

...could you imagine sitting at a game and seeing a kid next to you doing that? I absolutely would have thought he was nuts.

...i don't listen to many games on the radio, but I have to say Albert and Maloney are one of the best radio teams in the New York market.

Remember to follow me on Twitter & Facebook or e-mail me at nyrfan94@yahoo.com.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Never have fully understood the Albert lineage ... Marv, Steve, Al, Kenny, etc ... anyone??

ry-man said...

i like kenny albert better than john giannone. its no knock on john but sometimes i love listening to the radio feed and hearing kenny and dave.

Rick said...

Grew up listening to Marv Albert on radio. Always painted a picture.

Ronald said...

john giannone and joe micheletti are horrendous. truly painful to listen to. micheletti brings rosen down with him too. there's no excitement. there's no sense that they care how the rangers are doing. whenever there's a bad penalty called on a devil or a bruin, those announcers will not stop talking about it. instead micheletti is more interested in being able to name all of the previous teams an opposing player as been on. it's really pitiful, and it puts me to sleep while watching the rangers' telecasts.

John S said...

I always try announcing gameplay during Ranegr games and some times while playing any hockey video game. Its hard because the real broadcasters get all the stats on the players and there are many times of silence when I try lol

Kevin DeLury said...

John S, you've got get one of your buddies to be your stats guy.