Sunday, August 16, 2009

Rangers Hire Messier

Larry Brooks at the New York Post reports Mark Messier is rejoining the Rangers' organization as special assistant to club president Glen Sather.

Messier said this about the opportunity...

"I couldn't be more thrilled with the opportunity to move back to New York with my family, to learn from Glen and to work for the Rangers," Messier said yesterday by phone from the Bahamas. "I'm going to come in and get my feet wet and get an overview of how the business runs and how the team runs and take it from there."

Brooks adds that coach Tom Renney approached Messier last season about the possibility of working with the coaching staff this season. It also has been learned that Messier interviewed this summer for the vacant coaching position in Edmonton that ultimately went to Pat Quinn.

...great job by the Rangers bringing The Captain back. While Brooks says the "move should not be interpreted as Sather hiring his successor," why else would he do it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope Messier is the next GM. I firmly believe he can put a team together that can win a cup!