Thursday, August 27, 2009

Messier Promotes Head Safety

Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy reports on Mark Messier's crusade to promote head safety in hockey...

Here's a quote from Messier...

"When helmets were first designed, they were designed to stop catastrophic injuries -- meaning death in our sport," he said. "As we've progressed in our sport through the years, we've come upon an epidemic we didn't see coming many years back, which is the concussion problem. Our [current] helmets aren't designed to stop concussions."

Messier also briefly talked about his future as special assistant with the Rangers...

"Not sure where this will take me," said Messier, during a conference call this week. "I'll take my time, see what I really like and if I really like it. I feel I have a lot to offer, obviously."

...great job by Messier promoting safety, as these helmets sound like they can prevent concussions that may come from a nasty elbow, which Messier knows all about.

No comments: