Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Day We've All Been Waiting For (Updated)

Update: 10:41 p.m.:
For those of you in the Rangers should go after Kris Versteeg camp, I'm sorry to inform you that the Blackhawks just traded him to the Maple Leafs for a bag of pucks according to TSN.

Original Post:
Tomorrow marks the opening of free agency and for the Rangers that usually means Glen Sather spending like the Real Housewives of New Jersey, but cap restraints will probably make tomorrow one of the quieter July firsts we've seen around here.

I only expect some re-signings. Nothing too drastic.

I know a lot of you don't believe Sather when he's says the team is dedicated to youth and that they'll go with youngsters over underachieving veterans. And you have every right to think that.

For some reason I do. There's a good possibility I'm being duped, but Sather has spoken more in the last few weeks about the direction of the team than the last nine years combined and he's making a lot of sense.

Maybe he had an epiphany or hit his head. Either way you know what? I don't care. I finally see this team committed to building a winner from within which to me is the only was to build a true successful franchise.

I'm having a great vacation and I appreciate all your comments as I get myself refreshed for another season of blogging the Blueshirts.

To make up for my lack of posts this week, I'll be hosting another live chat sometime next week so stay tuned

10 comments:

LI Joe said...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533312

on stepan and mcdonagh

chris said...

july 1st on tsn via nhl network is one of the days i look forward to but this year is going to be a dud all the way around once kovalchuk and volchenkov go

craig said...

I think there may be some truth in the rumour that messier decapitated sather before the trade deadline and has been using his head as a ventriloquist dummy since. If you look at the deals made at the deadline they dont seem to match with the way sather usually does his business

Unknown said...

Kevin... are you beginning to show faith in Sather?! Madness, I tell you, madness!!!

haha on a serious note, I actually think the Dolans put some pressure on Sather, finally realizing that he dug them into a financial hole with bad decisions and are finally putting an end to the sinkhole in his pocket. It's the only explanation for his complete 180 in the past few months.
I like the potential this organizations young guys are showing. Makes me excited for the next several years.

ry-man said...

i agree. i think that sather must have heard something or maybe (yea right) that the small sather rally made an impact at all, or the chants at the garden. something made him be like, yea i fucked up. bout time.

but somehow i feel like he'll do something that just puts the wrench into the whole thing.

ry-man said...

kevin we'd u go btw? on vacation? i dont remember if you mentioned it.

Unknown said...

Too late on Versteeg. Toronto traded for him.

evantonio said...

Rangers have come to terms with Christensen. Details not yet announced, but he's back. Which is nice.

Unknown said...

Nice!

Unknown said...

Rangers get Marty Biron.