Saturday, September 26, 2009

Torts Happy with Team's Conditioning

Steve Zipay at Blue Notes reports that John Tortorella is happy with the team's conditioning despite having five games in a week during training camp...

“we got our skates in. I like it (conditioning) really front-loaded, and it hurt us in some of the games. I was more concerned about the conditioning part rather than have them fresh for those games…We've covered quite a bit of the team concept during tape. We'll do a lot of tape at the beginning of the year, but once you get to late November and December, we feel it should become almost an instinct. I like using the immediate game we played, I don't get it too convoluted going way back. Our tape work is about us, not about the other teams.”

On the taxing early season schedule...

“Once the season starts, I look for time to rest, because of the three-in-four and four-in-six. The first month we’ll have more pre-game skates; after the first three or four weeks, those will be optional. Those are so overrated. Sometimes I like using the pregame skates so I can give them a day off before.”

On Assistant Coach Mike Sullivan...

“He has a lot of thoughts and he's a very bright man. I know exactly what the other team's going to do. We just have to decide how much we're gonna give to the players and Sully---I shouldn’t just pick on him, we laugh about it now---he's changed; instead of his tape being so long, he's cut back. I asked him how long his tape's gonna be for tomorrow and he laughed and said, ‘I've got to cut it back.’ It's a good trait to have, but you don't want to overload."

...you can tell Tortorella is really chomping at the bit to start the season. As am I and I'm sure every Ranger fan out there.

Jim Cerny at newyorkrangers.com has a story on Tortorella and staff facing some tough decisions about the roster as opening night nears.

No comments: