Friday, September 25, 2009

Brashear: I Will Find A Way to Win Their Hearts

Jim Cerny at newyorkrangers.com has a feature on how Donald Brashear is trying to win over the Garden Faithful...

“I just try and give a little action to the fans,” Brashear said with a smile. “All I know is that I will find a way to win their hearts, and they will be with me.”

On why Ranger fans have been slow in accepting him...

“If the fans are mad, they’re mad,” said Brashear, who squared off twice with Sugden on Thursday. “Maybe it’s because of Blair Betts, I don’t know. I don’t really read into it. I’ve played in this league a long time and I know what I can do, and how I can help the team. I’m just going to try and show it and hopefully they can appreciate it.”

...i think Ranger fans need to get over it. The guy is on the team and he's going to protect players such as Gaborik, Prospal and Kotalik from being roughed up.

...please stop booing the guy!!!

Michael Obernauer at the Blueshirts Blog has John Tortorella's take on Blueshirt fans negative reaction towards Brashear...

“I don’t know what’s going on there,” the coach said. “Donald Brashear’s gonna be a big part of the hockey club. I just don’t think he needs to be disrespected. I think you (media) guys disrespected him when we brought him in here, I think that started the ball rolling.”

8 comments:

!JustDance said...

The reason why fans hate him isnt just because of his hit on Betts. Or because of his insanely dirty sucker punch on Aaron Ward - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yMgmSQbC0Y which I despise.

It's because he is a $%^#@ dirty player who has no place in the league. Apparently Torts says Brashear has some 'skill' but give me a break. A 4th line player like Voros dwarfs Brashear in skills.

Brashear is a dirty player who routinely goes after the opposing teams' best players. Orr was a hard-working 4th liner that fought other goons.

I hope we boo him off the team

Chris said...

Youre right... Brash is a Ranger now and we should get behind him. But I have one BIG gripe with his performance last night...

... his timing for the 2nd fight last night was putrid. We are in the offensive zone, setting up and moving the puck well. There was NO reason to fight right then and there and effective rob your team of one or more scoring chances.

Kevin DeLury said...

Chris you know the only reason he fought there was to redeem himself after a poor showing in the first bout. Which, yes, was selfish.

!JustDance, I hear what you're saying, but he's a Ranger let's get behind him b/c booing him will only make his job that much harder.

Chris said...

Yeah... I know exactly why he did it. And, if that were the only thing to look at, it makes perfect sense.

... but considering the surrounding circumstances and play I wish he would not have fought.

fleisch said...

Chris it was a preseason game!!!He is trying to win the fans over doing what he does best in a game that means nothing!!!! Regular season I am sure he skates away and the Rangers get a PP

Chris said...

Ha... Next, are you going to try and tell me that Dubi 'wasnt trying' because its preseason?

Using 'its preseason' as an excuse for piss-poor decisions is asinine.

I sure hope that he makes the 'right' decision in a 'real' game... but that remains to be seen.

Then again, I suppose Im just a pessimist because at the beginning of last season when the team was 'unstoppable' I continually told people that it wouldnt last and they they really werent playing all that well.

bpette02 said...

Brashear is a Ranger now deal with it! I actually think that it's a good thing that our goon is known for being a nasty, dirty player that's his job.

Unknown said...

!JustDance you sound like such a pussy. Thats a part of hockey. I played competitive hockey all the way through college. There were guys on other teams that were just scum and they put fear into you. Hockey is one of the most dangerous sports. There is no other sport like it. At any given moment if a player wanted to really hurt someone they could do it easily in the blink of an eye. Brashear scares people because he is dirty and that is awesome. There is nothing like intimidation. Finally the Rangers have a guy that gives cheap shots.