Friday, September 25, 2009

Flames Release Fleury

TSN reports that Theo Fleury has been released by the Calgary Flames.

Official Flames stament:

"I believe Theoren did a great job and should be proud, especially considering all the factors including age, time away from the game and lifestyle change," said general manager Darryl Sutter in the statement. "This is not a hockey story; it's a life story. Our agreement with Theoren was that he had to be one of our top six wingers and there were never any intentions of assigning him to the American Hockey League."

Fleury statement:

"I am very thankful to Darryl and the Flames organization for following through on the commitment to provide me with this opportunity," Fleury said in a statement. "I said in the beginning that no matter what the outcome, this would be a success story. I intend to take the next few days to review this experience and make decisions with my family regarding next steps in my life."

Fleury said he will have a press conference on Monday but would not commit on whether or not he was retiring from the game.

...this is unfortunate news as I was really pulling for Fleury. I had mentioned a couple of times that I thought the Rangers should have invited him to camp, but now that the Blueshirt's roster has pretty much taken shape I would be against bringing him in.

No comments: