Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Roenick Disses Drury Selection to Team USA

Paul Saluma at The Canadien Press reports that Jeremy Roenick says he's baffled by Chris Drury's selection to US Olympic team...

"Not to take anything away from the guy because he's had such a great career, but for Chris Drury to be on the team, it baffles me," Roenick told Toronto radio station AM640.

"I know he's a great leader and if he's captain of the team, he'll be a great captain, but I just don't see him being as good for the team as a guy like Gomez would be or T.J. Oshie. Oshie would bring so much energy to this team and this type of format in an international event, that I don't understand how those two guys aren't on the team."

...did Roenick seriously say Gomez?

...as far as I'm concerned Roenick has no credibility when it comes to US Olympic teams after what happened when he was on the team back in 1998.

...h/t to Puck Daddy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Eh, the league needs outspoken hockey players. He's good for the sport. I mean, is he wrong?

Even the coach of Team Russia said the only players he wants on his team are players that play well for their respective/home clubs....

Kevin DeLury said...

Does Roenick have a valid argument? Sure he does. But I'm taking the Animal House reaction to this:

"He can't do that to our pledges. Only we can do that to our pledges."