Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mara: I'm Not Sorry for Standing Up For Myself

During last night's game Paul Mara took a five minute major for pummeling the Sabres Patrick Kaleta after Kaleta left his feet to hit Mara. During the ensuing power play Buffalo scored the go ahead goal and never looked back.

While the penalty came at an unfortunate time for the Rangers, I really didn't have a problem with it. Not only did this guy break Mara's face last year, he had the audacity, after obviously trying to take Mara out again with an illegal hit, to taunt Mara about the injury.

If that wasn't bad enough Kaleta didn't even fight back and drew the five minute major. Coward.

Sure the penalty was probably the turning point of the game, but with the way the Rangers were playing last night did anyone think they were really going to win anyway?

Mara has been a real pleasant surprise for the Rangers so far with his booming shot from the point and solid defense.

Here is what Mara had to to say to Sam Weinman at The Rangers Report about the incident last night...

“It’s not a five-minute I wanted to take. I didn’t think it would go that way and I apologized for that,” Mara said. “I said I was sorry to the guys. I’m sorry I put the team in a situation where they had to kill off a five-minute penalty, but I’m not sorry for what I did standing up for myself when a guy leaves his feet like that.”

Weinman also has quotes from Chris Drury addressing the possibility of being moved back to center.

No comments: