Monday, December 1, 2008

Prucha Balks at Conditioning Assignment; Forward at the Point on PP

Today, Petr Prucha exercized his option to decline a conditioning assignment in Hartford...

Here's what Prucha said to Sam Weinman at The Rangers Report on why he declined the assignment...

"...I’m in good shape and ready to jump right in. I feel like it’s better to stick around so they can watch me every day on the ice and see that I’m ready.”

Here's Tom Renney's reaction...

“He’s in great shape,” Renney said. “But playing is important. It’s critical. There’s a difference in shape and then there’s game shape. But we’ve decided to let it go for a little while. We may come back to it. But there’s no way I could dispute his level of fitness or his effort or his attitude. Never ever. So I can appreciate why they want to be here and on the ready.”

...while I feel that a conditioning stint in Hartford could have done a lot for Prucha's confidence, he might have made the right decision to stick around. With the Rangers passionless performance yesterday Renney might be looking to add a spark to the line-up Wednesday against Pittsburgh and Prucha could fit that roll.

Weinman also reports that Renney is considering using a forward on the point on the power play. Renney mentioned numerous players including Drury, Gomez, Zherdev and Naslund.

6 comments:

fleisch said...

We dont need a forward on the point for the PP we just dont need Rozi and Redden on the point.
Mara, Giardi, Kalinin, and Staal should be on the point

Kevin DeLury said...

It would take a lot of gumption from Renney to sit down $59 million on the power play. I agree with the point, but I doubt Renney would do it.

Unknown said...

I actually agree with Prucha on this one. I mean he is already in great shape. There is not need to go down to Hartford just to "shape up." What he really needs to work on are his hockey skills. What happened to the old Prucha? When he first joined the rangers he was playing with great skill and ability. Fans could always tell when he was on the ice because he was doing something to grab everybody's attention. Now, when he actually is playing in the game, you don't even notice him. He doesn't stand out like he use to. I Will say that he has toughened up. He is clearly a target to hit because of his height but always manages to get right back up. What we really need to see are some goaaaaallsss!! I hope that Renny will give him another chance and put him back in the line up. Maybe all this talk of him being traded will motivate him to play better. He is still very young and has a lot of potential. I hope he steps up his game because I would be very upset to see a player with a tremendous heart and passion like his to leave the rangers.

Kevin DeLury said...

Like I said in my post, I think Prucha saw an opportunity for him to get back in the line-up after yesterday's meltdown. It's now up to him to take advantage of that chance if it comes.

Unknown said...

I hope so. I really think he deserves another shot. He has the potential and just needs to show it. I think at this point he is just intimated by several things, one, the fact that he might get traded, two, trying to keep up with his past accomplishments, & three, trying to compare to all his young and talented teammates.

Unknown said...

I'm all for getting this comatose team a spark...but when it's Prucha lacing up the skates from the nosebleeds? What, he'll play seven minutes of the third line, most?