Friday, July 9, 2010

Slats Keeps Talking

I've already posted a couple of quotes from Andrew Gross' of Ranger Rants conversation with Glen Sather. Here's more...

On Staal negotiations...

“I think this will probably end up with some sort of compromise,” Sather said. “I know they would like to get a free agent offer. I guess it depends on whether a team wants to get in a fight with us over this. That’s one of the risks you have. On the other side of the coin, we have the leverage. He has no arbitration rights. I would be happy to give him a long-term contract. We got Girardi at his numbers and they’re very comparable when you run their stats together. I hope it ends before (training camp). I hope he gets a long-term contract. We want him to stay with the Rangers. I’m optimistic about getting a deal done before then.”

...this looks like it should get done soon.

On needing more offense...

“I thought our defense wasn’t really our big problem on our team last year,” Sather said, adding the issue was the lack of scoring, other than Marian Gaborik. “We need to get a little more offense. We can’t just depend on Marian. As far as the defense, if somebody comes in and takes the job, so be it.”

...to bad after you sign Staal the Rangers will have exactly zero dollars to bring in another scoring winger. That is unless, wait for it, Redden is being sent to Hartford. Which I still don't believe is going to happen.

On getting a top line center...

“We still have some options out there,” Sather added about getting a top-line center. “Christensen came on very well last year and played very well, I’m not going to rule him out. At the same time, there’s no guarantee he’s going to be the guy to take the job. Prospal can play center. Stepan is smart enough to play there.”

...i know praising Sather is not good for the popularity of the blog, but I am loving this new, open, readily available to the media Slats. He has given more information regarding the team's thinking this offseason than the past nine years combined.

Remember to follow me on Twitter & Facebook or e-mail me at nyrfan94@yahoo.com.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

do we have a shot or does anyone want us to get Afinogenov??

Author said...

No, I don't want Afinogenov. All in the skill in the world but an extremely hot & more often than not, cold player. At this point in his career he's probably the equivalent of a poor man's Nik Zherdev IMO

Unknown said...

yea i honestly wouldve loved to see zherdev back

Kevin DeLury said...

I was never on board with bringing Zherdev back but for one-year, $2 million I would have been in.