Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Rangers Have Expressed Interest in Gagne

Chuck Gormley at the Courier-Post says the Rangers are one of three teams to have expressed interest in the Flyers Simon Gagne who is supposedly on the trading block.

The 30-year-old Gagne, who has one year and $5.25 million remaining on his contract, had 17 goals, 23 assists in 58 games last season. He also added 9 goals, 3 assists in 19 playoff games this spring.

...there's been a lot of confusion on whether Gagne has waived his no trade clause as the Flyers are claiming he has while Gagne is saying no.

...i like that Sather is kicking the tires here, however, a player of Gagne's skill level may mean the Rangers need to part with a top prospect. I'd have to see who they'd ask for, especially with him becoming a free agent at the end of the season. Would hate to see the Rangers give up say Stepan for a one-year rental. I'm also a little worried about him being injury-prone the last few years (only played more than 60 games once the last three years), but he would be a tremendous pickup.

...bringing Gagne in may also mean the end of Redden as there is no way the Rangers could afford to re-sign Staal and bring in Gagne without opening up cap room.

...having said all that, I can't imagine the Flyers ever trading him to the Rangers.

Remember to follow me on Twitter & Facebook or e-mail me at nyrfan94@yahoo.com.

15 comments:

Alex said...

I wouldn't worry about Sather giving up Stepan for a year of Gagne, that's just not going to happen. I'd be interested to see exactly what his price tag 'is' though, but given his age and injury history I don't see Slats paying anything that'd set the team back. I'd imagine Kreider, Grachev and Stepan (in particular) are completely off limits unless it gets them the #1 C they're looking for.

Dan W said...

We all know he can score but for that money we could get demitra and maybe even Frolov (or was it Filatov? One of those guys)
I would be far from upset if we aquired gagne but id still be concerned about that #1 center.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure gangne would be the number 1center

Beuke23 said...

Do we really need another ex-Flyer whose eggs are scrambled? With the Rangers luck, he'll get his next concussion right after signing a five year extension at 6 million per.

Unknown said...

Oh no! Don't sign anyone who can actually score goals because then all of their prospects will disappear.

Alex said...

Jack - are the Rangers contending next year? No, they're not. So logic should dictate that you don't give up your top tier prospects for a 30-year old perennial injury like Gagne. Especially not for one season, because you can bet your a$$ he wouldn't be resigning here after that.

Rick said...

Good points Alex, I am for one not liking the idea of giving up any prospect for Gagne and not even a Kreider or Stepan or even Grachev for a #1 center until we can see what they are made of 3 yrs from now.

LTP said...

Why would you even mention the Rangers giving up Stepan in a deal to get Gagne I mean come Kevin a little bit of reality here please. Gagne is 1 concussion away from eating through a straw no thanks I'll pass.

Kevin DeLury said...

LTP, while you may think mentioning Stepan is a little crazy (and I agree) you're going to tell me you don't think Philly is asking for him?

Jason3521 said...

I think we are heading for a major step backwards this upcoming season god I really hope not I'm getting tired of mediocrity I miss the early 90's when we were a really good team and it was fun to watch...oh the good ole days

Anonymous said...

Gagne is a great player, but he is a huge risk with the injuries (he never played a full season). The Rangers do lack another goal scorer, but I'm too excited for this new prospect group to give one up. I say let him go somewhere else (if its out of the division who cares), save the cap space and move on and see what training camp has to offer. Redden must be dumped regardless I am tired of....you know what I'm going to stop right there you guys know the story.

LTP said...

If they asked for Stepan & Slats did not hang up the phone I'd be very disappointed.

ivaNYRicov said...

I'll trade them Sather for Gagne... and if Gagne does have a concussion at some point he can just move to the GM spot and it would be an upgrade lol... im kinda kidding...

Kevin DeLury said...

iva, you may be kidding but there's some truth to what you're saying. I kid Glen, I kid.

Rick said...

@ivaNYRicov: too bad McSorley doesn't carry a big stick anymore. Only kidding Gagne