Monday, September 14, 2009

Torts, Drury Get on Same Page

Jim Cerny at newyorkrangers.com reports that John Tortorella reached out to captain Chris Drury on a regular basis during the off-season...

“I wanted to get to know him, and I wanted him to get to know me, because he is the captain of this hockey club,” Tortorella said of Drury. “I thought it was important. I think he is beginning to feel more comfortable with me. And I feel more comfortable with him.”

On the calls Drury said...

“Every time he called, it was great to hear what he was thinking and what he wanted from me,” said Drury. “He just kind of pushed me along and told me ‘this is what I am expecting and this is what guys should be ready for’. It was great to learn about his personality even more, as I’m sure he learned more about mine.”

Drury also says the mantra for the Rangers this season is "Shut Up and Play!"

...this is really great to see. I think Tortorella's tough ways can rub some players the wrong way, but with Drury on the same page the captain will be able to explain to a frustrated player why Tortorella may be going at him so hard.

Newyorkrangers.com also has photos from Day 2 of Training Camp here and a story on Tortorella's intense first day of camp here.

No comments: