Monday, March 3, 2008

Avery Breaks Off Contract Talks with Rangers **UPDATED WITH QUOTES**


At The Rangers Report, Sam Weinman writes...

Amidst the warm and fuzzy sentiments of a nine-game point streak, Sean Avery confirmed today that he has broken off talks of a contract extension with the Rangers, and that the two sides are far apart on his monetary value.

“We’re extremely far apart on each other’s views of what I am worth as a player,” Avery said.

“I think it’s probably mutual,” he said of whose decision it was to break off talks. “When you’re not agreeing on a monetary value when you’re negotiation a contract, there’s no point in beating a dead horse.”

Avery has stated numerous times that he loves playing in New York. He repeated that today, but also sounded like he wouldn’t be afraid to walk away if need be.

“I certainly love playing for the Rangers, there’s no question about it,” he said. “But I’d probably say that window is not as open as it has been in the past.”

...Yikes!!! This doesn't sound good at all. Especially when he says "We're extremely far apart" and "...I'd probably say that window is not as open as it has been in the past."

...this is where overpaying for Lundqvist might hurt us. Sather probably should have given Lundqvist closer to a $6 million per year deal, saving us almost $1 million per against the cap which could have been used to make it easier to resign Avery.

...I'd like to hear some dollar amounts before I start placing blame. But if Sather doesn't find a way to get this done and Avery signs some where else, he will definitely feel the wrath of the Garden Faithful. It won't be as bad as when he traded Leetch, but it would be close.

...love the above photo with Philly fans giving it to Avery. You've got to love this guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I joked with my friend that my buying one of those snazzy Avery St. Pat's t-shirts off of NHL.com was insurance that he was gone next year...

Not laughing with that report.

Kevin DeLury said...

Not sure what Sather's issue is with Avery. He has no problems re-signing Lundqvist, Tyutin and Girardi, but the guy who could be more important than all three combined, he plays hardball with. Again, I don't want to totally kill Sather until I hear some numbers, but I've got my Sather criticisms ready to go.