Thursday, April 3, 2008

Staal Coming of Age

At NHL.com, Brian Compton writes...

Since the first 10 games of the season, things indeed have been going well for Marc. After adjusting to life in the pros, the 12th-overall selection in the 2005 Draft has become one of New York's more reliable defensemen.

With two goals and eight assists in 76 games, Staal hasn't been a point producer, but that's the point, so to speak. He is learning about life in his own end. The more pertinent stats for Staal is plus-1 and his average ice time of 18:42 per game.

"I'm a lot more comfortable," he said. "My first 10 games, I was just trying to learn and trying to get through it. After that, every game I'm starting to get used to the style of play and certain teams and certain forechecks and things like that. I think every game, I'm learning and trying to improve. I'm starting to play with a little more confidence and a little more comfort."

...Staal has performed as advertised if not better.

...NHL.com also has a feature on the Staal family which can be accessed here.

No comments: