Friday, April 25, 2008

Early Ranger Reaction to Interference Call on Straka

Sam Weinman at the Rangers Report has this...

...most of the Rangers didn’t want to talk about the interference call on Martin Straka. Jaromir Jagr and Scott Gomez said they didn’t see it, and Straka didn’t want to talk about it. The one exception was Brendan Shanahan. “Weak call,” he said.

Weinman has since added the entire Shanahan quote...

“I think it’s a weak call at that time in the game,” Brendan Shanahan said. “Sidney embellished and you could make the call that he was interefering with Martin Straka. It’s too bad it had to happen to a guy like Martin Straka. He’s such an honest, hard-working player… I think it was a tough call for the referee to make at that time in the game.”

and this one from Gomez...

“It’s over. There’s nothing you can do about it,” Scott Gomez said. “Maybe when you’re younger you might dwell on it. But we’re not going to let that happen. We’re down 1-0. It doesn’t matter how you lose. There’s no use in crying over it.”


Steve Zipay at Blue Notes has this quote from Jagr on the call...

"I cannot comment on that. I didn't see it I don't know what happened." Then, he says, "I was expecting something like that."

...I watched MSGNetwork's post game coverage after the game and not much more from the players or Renney on the call. Renney said to a reporter who asked him about it "You saw it." And when Straka was pressed on what he said to the ref after the call he stated "I told him he dove."

...although the Rangers didn't get crazy after the game over the call, which I'm very happy about, Stan Fischler went nuts on the post game report. I'm trying to find video of it.

...and speaking of the post game report. Why in the world is Butch Goring on there? What Ranger fan in his right mind wants to listen to Goring break down a Ranger playoff game. He was especially pissing me off tonight when he was talking about how the Rangers can't whine about the interference call. Go hang out with Giggs McDonald and Deb Kaufman.

No comments: