Sunday, January 25, 2009

Rangers Skill Competition Recap

Newyorkrangers.com has a recap of Henrik Lundqvist, Brandon Dubinsky and Marc Staal's performances in yesterday's SuperSkills portion of the NHL All-Star Weekend.

Lundqvist stopped 12 of 16 shots in the Elimination Shootout, while Staal had two goals in the YoungStars match. Dubinsky was held scoreless.

...i really enjoyed the Superskills competition last night. The traditional competitions (fastest skater, accuracy shootout and hardest shot) still hold up in my opinion (especially when Chara breaks the record for hardest shot and two players go 4-for-4 in the accuracy) and the YoungStars game is great way to showcase the league's up-and-coming players. While the newest event, the elimination shootout, was outstanding.

...the one negative for me was the free style shootout. I know the NHL is trying to bring in more fans with some flare, but to me it's just not working. Only a small fraction of the moves worked and it turned into a circus when, instead of trying to pull off the puck flip, spin-a-roma that he couldn't complete last year, Ovechkin decided to dress up like a fool and skate around while doing nothing to dazzle me. Don't get me wrong I love Ovechkin's enthusiasm, but I'd much rather see him show off his skill level than his silliness.

No comments: