Monday, July 5, 2010

Rangers Take Boogaard Over Shelley Due to Age

Larry Brooks at the New York Post reports that the reason the Rangers decided to bypass Jody Shelley for Derek Boogaard was almost exclusively due to age...

"I think Jody is a great guy who did a terrific job for us, but I just think this league and that role is too difficult to keep doing it at that age, and certainly for another two years, never mind three," the GM told Slap Shots. "I go back to Dave Semenko, who I think was the best ever at it, and he couldn't do it.

"I just think that's a job that needs to be filled by a younger man. And I think we got the toughest one out there. I'm never going to say anything bad about Jody, but I like Derek; I like the guy we got."


FYI Semenko was Gretzky's protection during the Oilers' first two Cup runs in 1984 and 1985 but essentially was finished by the time he was 30.

...going with Boogaard over Shelley goes with Sather's strategy of making the Rangers younger. Which, as you guys know, I am a big fan of.

...and yes I have come down on the contract (how will you feel if the Rangers can't come to an agreement with Staal because of the $600,000 they overpaid Boogaard?), but it's not like Sather gave him $3 million per so I think a lot of the out-of-control criticism (comparing to Betts/Brashear fiasco of last year) of the signing is a bit unwarranted.

Remember to follow me on Twitter & Facebook or e-mail me at nyrfan94@yahoo.com.

7 comments:

LTP said...

I for 1 feel this signing is 1 of the best we've had in years, all of you guys complaining abut the additional 300,000 on this contract I'd be willing to bet that Gaborik, Lunqvist & MDZ are not complaining at all. The guy is going to get regular shifts here & anyone who bitches & moans about this signing has no concept of the modern game of hockey.

LI Joe said...

the guy will play 5 minutes/game and sits quite a few out entirely. and 4 yrs and 1.6 mm is way too much for him. so we have another bad contract - but like redden - and unlike all the others - this one goes past 2 more yrs. double that in fact.

sather has no clue on how to manage the cap. and our owner is another clueless one

games played

65,48,34,51,57


http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8469647

LI Joe said...

sather wasn't singing this tune when he signed brash a yr ago

LTP said...

li joe why do you even classify yourself a Ranger fan all you ever do is berate every move the organization makes

Kevin DeLury said...

LTP, I appreciate all your comments and insights, but one thing I don't want to see in the comments section are insults at other readers.

LI Joe is obviously a bigtime Ranger fan and has the right criticize every move. Especially with the Rangers lack of success the past decade.

I would rather comments be about real debate, not questioning someone's alliegance to the Rangers.

Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hey everyone...SATHER LEARNED SOMETHING! Instead of re-signing a potentially washed-up brawler (Brashear) he let's an older Jody Shelley walk for a younger, maybe more effective player..."intangibles" aside.

And I also don't want to hear anything about Orr ever again — that was sooo 2008-09. Honestly.

LI Joe said...

not true.

i still don't berate the rozy and drury and gomez signings since i liked them at the time

cherepanov was just bad luck so won't go after sather / dolan on that one

like the grachev stepan and kreider picks

ok with mcilrath pick

like cally and staal

think in general clark has done better at draft table than his predecessors here. but since its only 3 yrs its going to take a while for effect of wasted picks to go away

lovede the messier richter leetch graves group 91-97 rangers

loved the rangers of late 60's through 70's even though there was some broken hearts moments

can not stand dolan or sather. 2 series wins in 10 yrs under sather. not once having home ice in those 10 yrs. epic fail. my only hope is to outlive dolan.