Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tortorella Speaks After Practice

Jane McManus at The Rangers Report has numerous quotes from John Tortorella after his first practice with the Rangers. Here's one...

“Losing knocks you down,” Tortorella said. “And listen, I am going to push them, I am going to push them, but you also as a coach have to understand when to be with them and I think this is a time to try to get them to feel decent about themselves. There’d be nothing better than a win but I think its my job to allow them to express themselves and get a little bit of confidence."

McManus also reports on a number of changes Tortorella has already made including not being able to walk on the Rangers team logo which takes up most of the carpet in the middle of the locker room and taking down the standings and statistics that former coach Tom Renney had in the locker room.

Tortorella on coaching the Rangers...

“To play in that building in Madison Square and the logo of the Rangers, are you kidding me? It’s an honor.”

...the more I'm hearing the more I'm loving Tortorella. Not letting anyone walk on the Rangers logo reminds me a lot of what Messier preached when he was traded here. Respect the Rangers logo and wear it with pride. How can you not love that attitude?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be upset to learn that the players did walk on the logo when Renney was coach. That should almost be an unspoken rule.

Unknown said...

Awesome.