Thursday, July 8, 2010

11th Anniversary of Rangers Signing Fleury

On July 8, 1999, the Rangers signed the troubled, diminutive winger Theo Fleury to a four-year, $28 million contract that with his $3 million signing bonus paid him $8.5 million his first season with the Rangers.

Here's an article from the Daily News on the signing.

Fleury scored 69 goals along with 132 assists in his three seasons with the Rangers in which the team failed to qualify for the playoffs every year.

...wonder why the Rangers aren't celebrating this anniversary with a Fleury marathon on MSG Network.

...i'd really be looking forward to the game when he punched the Sharks mascot.

...man you know it's a slow news day when this is what I'm posting about.

Remember to follow me on Twitter & Facebook or e-mail me at nyrfan94@yahoo.com.

6 comments:

The Beeze (aka: Tim McNeeley) said...

I always loved Fleury, but he was totally losing his mind by the time he came to the Rangers...On the bright side, it's great that he's straightened his life out.

Adam Brett said...

fleury was the man! i remember a rangers islanders game i went to at the coliseum and he scored the winner in OT

who says the hobbit cant be like fleury? ;-)

Dave said...

I used to hate Fleury, growing up in the UK my brother & I chose our hockey teams (rather than inheriting them geographically) & he picked the Flames while I went for the Rangers & Fleury used to whip my arse on the Sega Genesis!

Unknown said...

I'm one of his biggest fans in NYC. I was sooo excited when they signed him because as a short kid growing up and playing ice hockey, I idolized his style of play.

I bought his recently published book and had it signed by him.

Andrea said...

That's funny you posted this, as I was cooling off at a Barnes + Noble yesterday and perused his book. Read the NYR chapters, natch. He comes across as faux humble about his problems and still very much an entitled ass. He actually had a sentence that reads something like "Leetch ended his career in Boston, but somehow blames Glen Sather." Fact-checking is not his strong suit. Good luck to him, but grow up.

Rick said...

It is just a continuation of how to obtain a marquee player and have crap as a team. Who says history doesn't repeat itself for those who cannot learn.