Friday, October 2, 2009

Johnny "O" Was Overlooked

Kevin Glew at The Hockey News has a nice feature on former Ranger John Ogrodnick being overlooked throughout his career...

“As a 19-year-old, I wasn’t getting as much ice time,” Ogrodnick recalled. “Ernie McLean was our coach and he called me into his office and he said, ‘John, don’t worry, you’ll go in the first or second round.

“I remember sitting by the radio and listening to the draft, and the first round goes by and I’m not picked. The second round goes by, no. The third round goes by, no. And then in the fourth round, I was finally picked up by Detroit.”

Ogrodnick was traded to the Rangers in September of 1987, where, after a couple of sub-par seasons, he rediscovered his scoring touch in 1989-90, potting 43 goals and earning team MVP honors.

...Ogrodnick was one of the first Rangers I remember rooting for when I was a kid. Probably because the guy was always scoring.

No comments: