Monday, October 5, 2009

Grachev's Attitude Has Taken Him Far

Jeff Jacobs at the Hartford Courant has a nice piece on Ranger prospect Evgeni Grachev and how his new coach in Hartford likes what he's seen since Grachev was assigned to the Pack after not making the cut with the Rangers...

"He didn't drag his lip around here," the Wolf Pack coach said before Evgeny Grachev and the rest of Gernander's team hopped on the bus Friday for Binghamton, N.Y., where they lost their AHL season opener Saturday, 5-3. "He wasn't a downer. He was very businesslike. I asked him how it was going, he kind of shrugged and went out there, did his thing and worked hard. Unless he's BS-ing me, he's fine."

Grachev on what he needs to improve...

"My decision-making could be faster with the puck. Maybe get a little bit faster and stronger, too. The last two [Rangers exhibition] games I played like eight minutes per game. I was thinking they'd send me down. It wasn't good to hear, but I wasn't too upset. I'll keep working and I'll get called up one day."

...if the Rangers continue their strong play for the rest of the season, we might not see Grachev in a Rangers uniform. Which may not be a bad thing for his development.

Grachev was held pointless in his first game with a -1, while Bobby Sanguinetti had 2 assists and was a +1. For game recap click here.

No comments: