Friday, October 9, 2009

Fleury Sexually Abused by Junior Coach

TSN reports that Theo Fleury will reveal in his tell-all book next week that he was sexually abused by his former junior coach Graham James. Excerpts from Fleury's book were made available today on the website of Maclean's magazine....

"(James) destroyed my belief system," read the excerpt in Maclean's. "The most influential adult in my life at the time was telling me that what I thought was wrong was right. I no longer had faith in myself or my own judgment. And when you come down to it, that's all a person has. Once it's gone, how do you get it back?"

Fleury added...

"Graham was on me once or twice a week for the next two years," read the excerpt in Maclean's. "An absolute nightmare, every day of my life."

James, the former head coach of the WHL's Moose Jaw Warriors, Swift Current Broncos and Calgary Hitmen, was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison after former NHLer Sheldon Kennedy made similar allegations in 1996.

...absolutely disgusting. Unfortunately, this explains a lot about Fleury's battle with alcohol.

No comments: