Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rangers Sign Zuccarello Aason (Updated)

Update, 1:15 p.m.:
Zuccarello Aason on playing in the NHL per newyorkrangers.com...

"It's a big step up for me, because the level is much higher than what I'm used to," Zuccarello Aasen said of transitioning to a new style of hockey. "Of course, I'm going to need some time to get used to the smaller ice rink and everything around me and how the team plays, but I'm confident that I'm going to be able to do that as quickly as possible."

...while I've been down on the Hobbit, there's no denying the excitement generated by the move. It's nice to post on some meaningful Rangers news again.

The above link also has quotes from former Rangers Niklas Sundstrom and Markus Naslund.

Update, 12:56 p.m.:
Don't forget about Steve Zipay live chat at 1pm. Should be a lot of Hobbit talk. To participate click here.

Update, 12:44 p.m.:
Jim Cerny at newyorkrangers.com tweets that Zuccarello Aason has been coined "The Norwegian Hobbit".

...you think he'll be insulted?

Update, 12:41 p.m.:
This weekend Lary Brooks at the New York Post said the terms are a two-year deal believed worth the Entry Level base cap of $900,000.

Update, 12:35 p.m.:
Here is the official release per newyorkrangers.com.

Update, 12:30 p.m.:
Here's some video on Zuccarello Aason...



...still have my reservations, but there's no denying the talent is there.

Original Post:
New York Rangers tweet...

#NYR sign free agent Mats Zuccarello Aasen; Mats, 22, was Swedish Elite League's top scorer and MVP with 64 points in 55 games this year

...ok Mats prove me wrong.

7 comments:

Amos said...

apparently he was dubbed "the hobbit" by his teammates that said he looked like elijah wood...

Kevin DeLury said...

Thanks for the info. I didn't want the guy to be insulted before he even stepped off the plane.

Juan Valencia said...

I see the Elitserien sometimes, and I think he is a good acquisition for the Rangers, he was leading on points in a league that is considered the second best in Europe. But I think it might be a while before he adapt to the NHL, but for the future is a good acquisition.

And Kevin, if you want I'll e-mail forwarding.

Kevin DeLury said...

Yes, Juan.

chef dave said...

I say why not take a chance? He is a medium risk/reward kind of player who won't break the bank if he doesn't work out. Besides, it's kind of like what I say about Girardi...If not him, then who? Enver Lisin? Wade Redden? I say roll the dice on the hobbit.

Kevin DeLury said...

Chef, despite my criticisms of MZA I agree with you. It's a low risk move that was a no brainer. Especially with a two-way, short term, low price contract.

Unknown said...

why does he have a golden helmet at the end of the video?