Tuesday, June 3, 2008

And We Have a Stanley Cup Finals

Last night was the first game of this year's Stanley Cup Finals I decided to watch. And of course it has to go into three overtimes and end at 1 a.m. My take is that the Penguins are very lucky to be going back to Pittsburgh. If it wasn't for the play of Fleury (55 saves) the Red Wings would still be celebrating this morning. They completely dominated the Penguins after the first period. And how about former Ranger Sykora calling his shot? That was impressive. A couple of things I took away from last night:

- The officiating continues to be awful. The two goalie interference penalties and Sykora's hooking penalty in OT were atrocious. On a positive note for the officials its good to see they're finally calling high sticking to the face penalties in the Finals unlike in the Second Round.

- Fleury has surprised me with his play during the playoffs, he is the sole reason this series is going back to Pittsburgh.

- Is it me or does it look like Malkin doesn't want to be out there?

- Finally, I was actually rooting for the Penguins last night. I feel that the longer this series goes the better it is for the success of the NHL. The ratings for the Finals has actually been decent and those numbers will only increase as the series goes further. So obviously, I'll be rooting for Pittsburgh once again tomorrow night. Did I just say that?

No comments: