Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Goaltending Lovers Delight

I was a goaltender when I played youth and high school ice hockey, so I cannot wait for tonight's match-up between who I and many others for that matter consider the best two goalies in the NHL, Henrik Lunqvist and Roberto Luongo.

Currently, Lundqvist sports a league leading 12 wins, a 1.92 gaa and a .931 save%. Putting him on pace for a Ranger record 46 wins. For Loungo, he has 10 wins, a 2.14 gaa, a .928 and 5, yes 5, shutouts in just 17 starts. Three of those shutouts came in consecutive games.

This is one of those games that the NHL should have been promoting since the summer. But not a word. I don't even see a 'Dream Goaltending Match-up' preview on NHL.com. Just another reason Gary Bettman should walk away.

But I digress. This has all the makings of a classic goaltending match-up in the mold of Dryden vs. Parent or Roy vs. Hasek.

Could you imagine if Mike Milbury didn't trade Luongo from the Islanders and we got to see this match-up four times a year? As if the rivalry wasn't good enough.

Having said all that look for a 7-5 game tonight with both goalies being pulled in the second period.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good point. This game should be all over NHL.com, etc. But we all know how terrible the NHL is at marketing and promotion. I'll be at the game tonight to witness the standoff.