Monday, June 2, 2008

Sather Talks Jagr & Avery Contracts

John Dellapina at the Blueshirts Blogs has this from Rangers GM Glen Sather after a GMs meeting in Detriot...

“It’s clear he’s a good player,” Sather said of Jagr. “It’s clear that we like him. And it’s clear that we’d like to have him back also.

“There are so many other free agents that are going to be available. But if you have the option of getting Jaromir the way he played at the end of the year and in the playoffs, he was a pretty dangerous hockey player. And we could wind up with no one.

“So you’ve got to be careful.

“I like him. He’s a good guy. He’s been respectful to me and done whatever I’ve asked him. He’s been very good.”

Of Omsk GM Anatoli Bardin, who visited with both Sather and Jagr in New York during the season, Sather said: “I met with that guy from Omsk two times. And he indicated to me that they were going to give him an offer and that it wasn’t going to be crazy. But now, what’s crazy?

“I said to him: ‘It’s really Jaromir’s decision. I’d like him to stay, naturally. But it will be his decision what he wants to do.’ And the way the cap works today, you can’t spend all your money on one guy.”

Clearly, a difference of opinion still exists between what Sather believes Avery is worth and what Avery believes he is worth. As for whether he is concerned that the abrasive Avery could be wearing out his welcome in the Rangers’ dressing room after two seasons, Sather laughed and replied: “The Avery Factor?

“He’s an interesting guy and that’s going to be an interesting one.

“I respect Sean as a player. I think he’s a dynamic asset to any organization. Just to let him go into free agency is a mistake. But on the other hand, you have to make sure that when you sign anybody you’re not making a mistake for the rest of the team.

“I’m going to try to get him signed. But there is a limit.”

...great job by Dellapina to get these quotes from Sather.

...looks like Sather wants Jagr back, but I'm still worried about how hard he's going to go after Avery.

No comments: